Telegram is a messaging app that lets you send and receive messages, photos, videos, and files of any type (doc, zip, mp3, etc), as well as create groups for up to 200 people. But sometimes you might not want to automatically download some file types such as music and videos. There is a way to stop automatic downloads on Telegram.
1. How to Stop Auto Download on Android and iOS
Both Android and iOS devices have the ability to automatically download media files when you receive them in a chat. This can be helpful when you want to save a photo or video, but it can also be a storage hog if you’re not careful. To stop auto download on Android, open the Telegram app and go to Settings > Chat settings > Auto download media. From here, you can toggle off the setting for photos, videos, and documents. To stop auto download on iOS, open the Telegram app and go to Settings > Chat settings > Downloads. From here, you can toggle off the setting for photos and videos.
2. How to Disable Auto Download on Desktop
If you’re not a fan of auto-downloading media files on Telegram, there is an easy way to disable it. On desktop, open Telegram and go to Settings > Chat Settings > Data and Storage. Under the Media section, disable the Auto-Download Media setting. This will stop Telegram from automatically downloading any media files, including audio, video, and photos.
3. How to Change Auto Download Setting in Telegram 4. How to Change Automatic Playback Settings in Telegram
Telegram offers a few different settings for automatic downloads. If you don’t want to automatically download media, you can change the setting so that you’re prompted to download media files instead. This way, you can choose which files to download and which ones to skip. You can also choose to stop auto-downloads for a specific chat or for all chats. If you want to change the automatic playback settings for videos, you can do that as well. You can choose to automatically play all videos, play videos only when you’re connected to Wi-Fi, or to not play videos automatically. These settings can be changed in the Settings menu.
5. How to Pause Auto Playback
4. Pausing Auto-Download: If you want to pause the automatic downloading of files, go to Settings > Data and Storage Usage and toggle the Auto-Download switch to the off position. 5. How to Stop Auto Playback: If you want to stop videos from playing automatically when you open a chat, go to Settings > Media and toggle the Auto Play switch to the off position.
When you don’t want to miss any updates or messages, the most convenient way is to keep your device on and connected. And this habit may lead you to unexpected behavior where some unwanted images are automatically downloaded onto your phone without permission – especially if someone sends you an offensive image message in Telegram group chat that contains NSFW (Not Safe For Work) content.